Thursday, May 3, 2012

No Tissue Thursdays

It's Thursday, which means it is "No Tissue Thursday" at the office.  When the team warned us about it last week, I asked, "Does that include toilet paper?"  They laughed and said, "No, there will be toilet tissue but no paper towels to wipe your hands."  Every Thursday, the paper towels are removed from the restrooms to encourage employees to use the air dryer instead.

Last week , the Team Lead taught me a few phrases in an Indian dialect, including "Hello", "Have you eaten?", "Yes" and "No."  Last night, after the 9:00 meal break, as the Team Lead was walking into the conference room, I bravely attempted the "Have you eaten?" phrase.  It phonetically sounds something like "Con-na-kaya?" She immediately smiled and replied something that I, of course, did not understand.
Methi Paneer

There is still much to do, but our time here is coming to a close soon. We will need to pack our belongings tomorrow morning (Friday) and check out of the hotel before leaving for work. We booked a driver via Emirates Airlines who will pick us up from the hotel for our 4:15am flight to Dubai, where we will be staying just one night to take a quick tour of the city. I know that the irony between the two countries will be very striking. We return home Sunday afternoon.

I think the waiters at the restaurant will miss me, and I will miss them too.  I was not very hungry this morning so I skipped breakfast and opted for an early lunch.  When I arrived at the dining room, one of the waiters immediately came up to me and said, "Ma'am, you did not come to breakfast."  The waiters have all been very kind and courteous, and they know that when I order Methi Paneer, which is now my favorite Indian dish, they ensure the chef does not make it too spicy.

I think the one thing I regret not bringing is medicine to put on a mosquito bite. Although I don't like using repellent with DEET, I am grateful that I have only had 1 mosquito bite. Oddly, it was on my left palm but it did not itch and healed after a few days. One of my co-workers has had a lot of mosquito bites since we arrived and her arm was red and swollen, but none of us brought medicine to put on the bite.

1 comment: